A heart attack (myocardial infarction) occurs when an area of heart muscle dies or is permanently damaged due to inadequate oxygen supply to that area.
A clot in the coronary artery interrupts the flow of blood and oxygen to the heart muscle, leading to the death of heart cells in that area. The damaged heart muscle loses its ability to contract, and the remaining heart muscle needs to compensate for the weakened area..Click here to find information about Heart attack in Marathi.
Causes of heart attack in Marathi: –
Most heart attacks are caused by a clot that blocks one of the coronary arteries (the blood vessels that supply blood and oxygen to the heart muscle). The clot usually forms in a coronary artery previously narrowed from changes related to atherosclerosis. Atherosclerotic plaque (accumulation) within the arterial wall sometimes cracks, and this causes the formation of a clot, also called a thrombus.
Risk factors of heart attack in Marathi: –
Risk factors for coronary artery disease and heart attack include:
• High blood pressure
• Excess fat in your diet
• Poor levels of blood cholesterol, especially LDL (“bad”) cholesterol and low HDL (“good cholesterol”)
• The male
• Many of the above risk factors are associated with overweight.
Symptoms of heart attack in Marathi: –
Chest pain behind the sternum (breastbone) is a major symptom of heart attack, but in many cases the pain can be subtle or even completely absent (called a “silent heart attack”), especially in the elderly and diabetics. Often the pain radiates from the chest to the arms or shoulders; neck, teeth or jaw; abdomen or back. Sometimes the pain is felt only in one of these other places.
The pain usually lasts more than 20 minutes and usually not completely relieved by rest or nitrioglycerine, both of which can erase the pain of angina pectoris.
The pain can be intense and severe or very subtle and confusing. It can feel like:
• Squeezing or heavy pressure
• A tight chest band
• “An elephant sitting on [his] chest”
• Poor indigestion
Other symptoms that can have either alone or together with chest pain include:
• Shortness of breath
• Dizziness – dizziness
• Nausea or vomiting
• Sweating, which may be extreme
• Feeling of “impending doom”
Diagnosis and tests for heart attack in Marathi: –
During a physical exam, the doctor may notice a rapid pulse. Blood pressure may be normal, high or low. While listening to the chest with a stethoscope, the doctor may hear crackles in the lungs, a heart murmur or other abnormal sounds.
The following tests may reveal a heart attack and the degree of damage to the heart:
• Electrocardiogram (ECG) – single or repeated over several hours
• Coronary angiography
• Nuclear ventriculography (MUGA or RNV)
Prevention of Heart attack in Marathi: –
To prevent a heart attack:
• Control your blood pressure.
• The levels of total cholesterol control. To help control cholesterol, your doctor may prescribe a drug from the group of statins.
• Stop smoking if you smoke.
• Eat a diet low in fat and rich in fruits and vegetables and low in animal fat.
• Control diabetes.
• Lose weight if you are overweight.
• Exercise daily or several times a week for walking and other exercises to improve heart health. (Consult your healthcare provider.)